Re: [e4-dev] Cant't compile current e4 trunk

Hi Kevin

Kevin McGuire schrieb:

> Hi Tom,
>
> I think it should be much easier to write custom widgets.  The ETab*
> classes could for example be in Nebula.  I had some discussions with
> Steve on this subject about allowing clients to extend and draw their
> own graphics within the custom widgets, leaving the basic widget
> behaviour/structure in place, which matches exactly what we wanted to do
> here.  I think something along those lines is the right strategy in the
> future.
>
> WRT. the fragment, yes I really regret the added complexity in setup.
>  The only other choices I see are:
>
> 1) Forgo the new widgets, just pull them

-1 because where do we stop? We can't move a custom drawn widget to SWT
simply because we are Platform-UI what picture would this make to the
community who wants to see many other widget getting part of SWT and now
we are adding a 3rd Tab-Widget to SWT though we alway argued that SWT
should be as small and slim as possible?

> 2) Copy CTab*.  But then we need to copy listeners, and databinding, and...

Copy CTab* and move over to Nebula and enrich it with features or make
it a new plugin in E4 for the time being. BTW we at Nebula are thinking
of a base canvas implementation providing you with cool features like
gradients, animation out of the box (even SVG interpretation is on the
whish list) [1].

Nebula is hopefully going to get modified soon in a way that adoption
from other projects might not be that a big problem any more.

Soltution 3: Make SWT-people open the API for us.

As outlined in my first reply I don't really know of the history of
CTabFolder but to me it looks like it was created especially for the
needs of Platform-UI, right? Still I really don't want it to be a
fragment hijacking the SWT-Namespace because we are to some extend
breaking our own rules we are trying to teach the consumers of our API
(if something is not meant to be subclassed don't do it, package-visible
stuff is not API and can break you at any given time so don't hijack my
package simply because it is possible, ...).

Tom

[1]http://www.aspencloud.com/cwt

tom schindl                                        geschaeftsfuehrer/CEO
eduard-bodem-gasse 5/1    A-6020 innsbruck      phone    ++43 512 935834

Back to the top