Re: [e4-dev] plugin naming

Paul,

Naming is more difficult than I thought!

The Javascript support might just as well have been contributed to EMF, that's why I thought org.eclipse.emf.javascript would be a good name. Perhaps Ed has an opinion?

The toolkit model is related to the workbench model in e4.ui, since it's an EMF model that is rendered by some toolkit. So org.eclipse.e4.ui could be a good prefix. If sub-components are not allowed, it seems natural to use org.eclipse.e4.tm as you suggest. This will place it side-by-side xwt, which is good since it is similar in many respects.

BTW, the toolkit model and renderer(s) do not depend on the Javascript support. It's only the third toolkit model plugin with ui code (views and editors) that is Javascript-aware.

Two other questions:
- The plugin id is supposed to be used as the top-level package of the code in the plugin project, right? - Human-readable text (descriptions, how-tos, ...) about the contributions go in the wiki, right?

Hallvard

Paul Webster wrote:
Hi Hallvard

Congrats on passing the IP process.  We appreciate your patience :-)

Our plugins in the incubator follow the org.eclipse.<project>
convention, so in your case I would imagine:
org.eclipse.e4.emf.javascript.* and org.eclipse.e4.tm.*

Should these go into an existing "component"?  Right now we have:

org.eclipse.e4.languages - support for plugins in other languages,
right now focused on JavaScript
org.eclipse.e4.resources - the e4 resource work
org.eclipse.e4.runtime - low level runtime support, like the equinox
concurrency bundle
org.eclipse.e4.server - server side work, like providing the Bespin server
org.eclipse.e4.swt - the SWT ActionScript compiler and related tools
org.eclipse.e4.ui - the modelled workbench, compatibility layer,
services, and context/dependency injection support
org.eclipse.e4.xwt - the XWT support and toolset

Should this go under org.eclipse.e4.emf.swt?

When we've decided, we need to open a [releng] bug so that it can get
in the build as well.

Back to the top