Re: [e4-dev] AJAX-based Eclipse Project Explorer

Hi Christoph,

This looks very interesting and there is good overlap with the e4 project goals in a few ones.  For one, we're interested in plugins written in languages other than Java.  For another, we're interested in how and to what degree Eclipse can move to the web.  One logical outcome is an IDE on the web, although there are no plans for that at present.

As for practicalities of getting involved, the e4 project is pretty open and in the end moves in the direction that those who step up want to move it.  To get commit rights to the repository you will need to be voted in by the community.  In established Eclipse projects with a shipping code base with dependent products, it can take awhile to earn those commit rights.  However, in e4 it's really about getting people involved and they get put through pretty quickly.  If you have a contact already in this community who is already an e4 committer then it's best for them to help you through the nomination process.

If you wanted to donate a code base to Eclipse then we'll need to work with you to put it through our IP process, which is relatively painless given it involves IP.

I can be of help in any of these matters and it's always true that others in the community are happy to help too.

Welcome!

Best Regards,
Kevin

Christoph Dorn <christoph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: e4-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/19/2009 02:46 PM

Please respond to
christoph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Please respond to

e4-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[e4-dev] AJAX-based Eclipse Project Explorer

I was pointed to the e4 project by Chris Aniszczyk as a response to a blog post I wrote about an AJAX-based Project Explorer (APE) for eclipse:

http://www.christophdorn.com/Blog/2009/01/16/a-case-for-an-ajax-based-eclipse-project-explorer/

(assuming you have skimmed the post)

Is this something that could fit with the e4 project?

I am interested in championing the APE as an overall concept and can contribute all code from the _javascript_ side of things. I have very little eclipse development experience (I do have 4+ years of java in my past) having only toyed with a simple plugin a while back. My preference would be to stay out of the Java aspects as much as possible.

I have never contributed to eclipse before, nor participated in any eclipse proposal and am utterly unfamiliar with the processes.

If you think this idea has legs and are interested in supporting it to any extent, please let me know.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

--
Christoph Dorn
http://www.ChristophDorn.com/