Re: [e4-dev] Dependency Preference and Versioning

We have been discussing a similar topic within OSGi. What would be nice to have is a generic provide/requires mechanism that can be used to express these types of dependencies (non-java package dependencies). Another example of this issue is the SWT bundle. It cannot function without one of its platform specific fragments installed. But there currently is no declared dependency form the swt host bundle and its platform specific fragments. This means an SWT host will resolve and all other bundles that require org.eclipse.swt will be resolved and think they can function, but they will undoubtedly fail.

Wouldn't it be nice if the fragment could specify that it provides the native code support for SWT and the SWT host could declare a requirement for a native code provider.

Tom

Inactive hide details for Boris Bokowski ---01/14/2009 11:24:26 AM---Another issue that we need to consider is the non-Java parBoris Bokowski ---01/14/2009 11:24:26 AM---Another issue that we need to consider is the non-Java parts that go into a bundle and are not contained in a package. Isn't th

Boris Bokowski <Boris_Bokowski@xxxxxxxxxx>

01/14/2009 11:24 AM

Re: [e4-dev] Dependency Preference and Versioning

Another issue that we need to consider is the non-Java parts that go into a bundle and are not contained in a package. Isn't the rule that you need to use Require-Bundle if you depend on things like extension points?

Also, making everything keyed off packages is very Java-centric - what happens when I write a bundle containing _javascript_ code?

Boris