Re: [e4-dev] The ideal Eclipse developer computer

Every time I've bought a big beefy laptop I've regretted it 6-12 months later when the machine wasn't that fast any more and the screen was starting to get dimmer.  The bling of the biggest coolest laptop doesn't last, but I always appreciate light weight, no matter how long I own the computer.

I used to be a big Linux advocate until the latest versions of Fedora and Ubuntu.  Fedora 8 supported all of my my (vanilla Intel chipset) laptop hardware perfectly out of the box.  Power management, suspend, hibernate, screen dimming, WIFI, even the SD slot Just Worked perfectly with no input from me.  Today, neither the latest Fedora nor Ubuntu does.

An O/S shouldn't break when you've got a 3 year old computer that is no longer leading edge.

I'm sad to say it but my next laptop will probably be a Mac--not just because I don't want Windows but because you need a Mac for IPhone development and the mobile space is big and getting bigger.

Dave Orme