[e4-dev] Marking new API in E4

Hi all,

during the e4 resources call today, the question turned up how we'd want to treat new API being added as part of the E4 effort.

That's clear, you might think, tag it with an @since tag... but...

the drawback of the @since tags is that, since all bundles have different version numbers, it's no longer obvious what's the complete list of everything added for e4. Also, we were wondering whether it wouldn't make sense to have some Javadoc for all new e4 APIs, reading something like "EXPERIMENTAL, added as part of e4, may be changed or removed at any time without notice".

So, here are some questions of mine:
  • Does API Tooling provide some "report" functionality that would allow us to generate a report of all API added since a baseline (e.g. since e4 was started)? Then, the @since tags are good enough. Otherwise, we might want some common text markup in addition to the @since.
  • Do we want to shoot for some "new API" policy that would make it clear for adopters what's the status of new API (i.e. how likely it is to remain, how much work has been put into it already, where to discuss API change requests etc). Or, do we want to have e4 be a playground for API additions without too many rules for now, and think about more formal processes in the summer when Eclipse 3.5 is released?
Comments welcome,

Cheers,
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Back to the top