[dtp-dev] Plugin and Feature Versioning

During our DTP Project Lead/PMC weekly meeting today, we discussed the always lively topic of plugin and feature versioning. We agreed to continue that discussion on the mailing list in order to get feedback from the community. The Eclipse documentation on versioning can be found here:

Eclipse 3.3: http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Version_Numbering_Europa_Update
Eclipse 3.2: http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/documents/plugin-versioning.html

The main question we'd like to get feedback on is whether we should version our plugins based on the project version (i.e. 1.5 to sync with the DTP 1.5 project version) or whether we should adopt the versioning as described in the Eclipse versioning docs whereby each segment is incrmented based on the type of changes made.

I'll throw my opinion out for starters... I strongly feel we need to abide by the versioning criteria as described in the Eclipse versioning documentation. Some of our adopters are sensitve to version numbers and we can prevent them from being able to upgrade if we increment versions outside their specified tolerance ranges.

Regards,
Sheila

Back to the top