Re: [dsdp-tml-dev] X server implementation

Thanks Christian for the information, looking forward to the first drop of the tml project.

Regards,
Sheldon

On Nov 9, 2007 6:49 AM, Christian Kurzke < christian@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Sheldon,

As you correctly wrote, TmL is implementing a VNC protocol client, which
is intended to display the output of an Embedded Linux framebuffer. We
are keeping the code fairly generic, and it should be possible to use
the viewer to connect to generic VNC servers.

If you want to connect to an X-Server, you could possibly do the same
approach.
We chose VNC over X, because of the simplicity of the protocol. I expect
a Java implementation of an X-Server would be much more complicated.
If you have an existing client (you mentioned J-Craft) then the
challenge will be to modify the client to draw on the SWT canvas.

We developed our viewer from scratch, not using any existing code, and
designed it from the beginning to work with Eclipse/SWT.

I expect our code to pass all legal reviews soon, and we're getting
ready for our initial code-drop. After that, you can take a look at our
code and see if/how you can use it for your purposes.

I'm do not know the details of your usecase, but I suggest for you to
look at XVNC
(http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/dtg/attarchive/vnc/xvnc.html).
Maybe you can use this to bridge from your current application to VNC?

Best,

Christian Kurzke