Re: [dsdp-tm-dev] dsdp-tm-dev Digest, Vol 63, Issue 9

Hi Andy,

> > Our assumption is that when you modified a file and tried to save
it,
> > your modifications are more precious than the remote contents and
you'd
> > work on resolving the permission problem rather than just getting
> > remote contents again.

> For the second issue - your point of view is absolutely reasonable,
but
> i think that editor should compare two files: local and > remote (by
> time-stamp and file-size) and if they are different ask user what
version
> of this file he really wants to open.

Hm... I don't think it's that easy. You wouldn't want to get a dialog
for each and every file that you had cached in a session ages ago and
that has changed on the remote. In other words,

- Case 1: when you haven't changed the file locally, remote
          should always win.

- Case 2: When you changed the file and upload succeeded, we also
          have no problem because local and remote are in sync.

- Case 3: We also handle the case where you start editing a file,
          and remote changes while you edit (upload conflict dialog
          is shown).

- Case 4: You changed the file locally, but upload failed. Remote
          stays unchanged --> When re-opening the file, I assume
          that you want your local edits rather than revert to the
          remote copy; you claim you want a choice dialog in this
          case.

- Case 5: You changed the file locally but upload failed. Then, the
          remote changes and you open the file again.

Current discussion is about case 4 and 5, and both have 2 variants:
- a) The edited file is still in an editor.
- b) The edited file is no longer in an editor.
The workflow for these cases is debatable. I suggest that you file
a bugzilla enhancement request for the discussion:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Target%20Management

Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6

Back to the top