Re: [dsdp-tm-dev] Remote Systems View

Hi Doug,

The idea of putting RSE content into a Common Navigator based view is
not
new. But since nobody signed up for actually doing the work, there isn't

a bug collecting these.

Looking at the way RSE works today, I think the biggest problems
wrapping these in a common navigator content provider would likely
be

  1. RSE content is always fetched lazily. Some nodes may not be
expanded.

  2. In RSE, the *same* data item may be visible under *multiple*
     tree paths. Since RSE has user-defined filters, multiple
     filters may reveal the same item.

Especially the 2nd point has lead to many problems in the past, and
much of the Refresh logic in the current RemoteSystemsView tries to
deal with this. Because when A is displayed twice in the tree and
you choose to refresh A, you'll want to refresh all tree-paths that
end up showing A.

When I was to design a new form of target management, I'd very
carefully think about whether I really need the concept of
RSE-like "filter nodes" in the tree, which can lead to showing
the same item twice... This concept has lead to so many problems
That the value of the concept would have to be overwhelming.

Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6