[dsdp-tm-dev] Eclipse EFS and external applications (was: Debug a PHP script that comes from an FTP)

Hello Yaron,

There is a general conceptual problem with external applications and
remote files shared through EFS - because on "Eclipse internal" clients
which understand IFileStore will be able to interpret the URIs and get
the remote files.

You can do IFileStore.toLocalFile() to get a local cached file which you
can pass into your external application; but as you've said yourself,
PHP files can require other PHP files, which would still reside remotely,
and your external application can not get them.

In this situation, I see two possibilities:
  a) Make your PHP debugger completely eclipse internal such that
      it can understand EFS as much as it needs to; the Debugter's
      source path locator should understand EFS.
  b) Synchronize all the remote files you potentially need to the local
      disk and then specify the local files in the debugger's source path.

RSE's  Import/Export wizard can help you get a local copy of the remote
files; or, you could use rsync; we've also thought about implementing an
rsync-backed "remote filesystem" at some point.

I'll happily dicuss this more with you if you like.

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber
Wind River Systems, Inc.