[dsdp-tm-dev] Request for API change: systemType icon properties

Dear committers,

I would like to request an API change in the systemTypes
extension point:

In RSE 7 and before, the icon of a systemType was specified
as a String property. For openRSE, this has been changed to
put the icon references into a <property> markup.

The disadvantages of this are, that
 * It is not obvious that icons are required by the code
 * PDE cannot be used to browse for the icon resource
   in the extension point schema editor
 * PDE cannot display the icon in the plugin.xml editor
 * The extension point looks more complex than necessary
 * There is unnecessary extra migration effort from RSE7

I would therefore like to revert to the original structure,
and pass "icon" and "iconLive" in as attributes. I would
like to keep the <property> markup there, in order to
support custom extensions later on.

If you want, the code could also make a fallback to reading
the icon from <property> if it is not available in the "icon"
attribute; but I don't think this is necessary since there is
no released version of this right now.

Any comments on the request?
Can we please vote on this request?

Martin Oberhuber