Re: [dsdp-pmc] Urgent: Questions for tomorrow's call with SD Times

Answers inlined:

I also would like a photo of each lead, if available.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/User:Martin.oberhuber.windriver.com

1- What is the planned date for the next major release of your project? Version number?

The upcoming release for the Target Management Project is the Remote System Explorer (RSE) 1.0, to be released on October 20, 2006. See the Project Plan on http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm/development/plan.php for details.

2- What are the most important features to be added in this release?

This is the first release of the Target Management Project. The most important features are listed in the Release Review slides, available from http://www.eclipse.org/projects/slides/TM_1.0_Release_Review_v3.pdf, slide #4:
* A single consistent UI for accessing remote resources
- Tree View (pluggable system types, subsystems, filters), Table View, Remote Monitor
- Remote Drag&Drop, Copy&Paste, Edit&Compare, Properties, Search
- Standard widgets and dialogs for remote open-file, enter-password, move …
* Provided standard subsystems / services
- Remote file system access through ssh, ftp or dstore protocols
- Remote shell (command) access through ssh or dstore protocols
- Remote process access through dstore protocol on Linux
- dstore protocol implementation and agent for remote search, remote archive exploring, remote process and other pluggable miners
* CDT Remote Launch Integration using gdbserver
* Team sharing of connection and filter definitions

3- What are the major benefits of those features?

Users can get access to remote computers through a comprehensive, consistent UI. They can operate on remote computers as if they were local. ISVs can use the existing framework to plug in new connection types for their types of connections or computers eaily. So they gain a rich UI for accessing their systems through their unique connection schemes easily.

4- Will anything be left out of this release, and if so, what?

"User actions" and "Import/Export" were originally planned to be included in this release, but had to be deferred due to slow legal and copyright review process and lack of resources. "User Actions" allow users to define their own shortcuts for actions to be executed on the remote system, store them and share them in a team for easy re-use. "Import/Export" allows to synchronize local file systems with remote file systems easily.

5- When will those left-out features be added?

We are planning a Service Release of RSE 1.0 in December, which will add those features. This plan is tentative right now and has not yet been signed off by all stakeholders.

6- The tool will run on which major operating systems? (Linux, Windows, MacOS)

We are testing the RSE client UI on Windows 2000 and XP, Linux (Redhat WS4 and Suse SLES9) as well as MacOS X with the IBM and Sun JVMs. It should, however run on any supported Eclipse platform since it is plain java. The Datastore server, which is needed to use all functionality of the remote connections that come out of the box, is being tested on Windows, Linux, MacOS, AIX and Solaris. In addition to that, secure shell (ssh) and ftp connections can be made to any server that supports these protocols, including VMS, embedded operating systems like VxWorks and QNX Neutrino, and Mainframes.

7- The tool requires which version of Eclipse?

RSE 1.0 requires Eclipse 3.2. The CDT Remote Launch Integration requires CDT 3.1.

8- The tool plugs into an existing Eclipse install does it install a new distribution?

RSE plugs into an existing Eclipse install. We also offer an Update Site for easy access to our tool. For the upcoming release cycle (RSE 2.0, to be released in June 2007), we are going to join the Europa Release Train such that our features will be integrated with the main Eclipse Update Sites.

9- Would you consider the project “mostly framework” or “mostly tool” and why?

RSE is about 50% of both. People can use it out of the box for a variety of nice things to do, including ssh and ftp file transfers and remote shell access. For ISVs, the framework is equally useful.

10- What are the purpose and intended user group(s) for your project?

Anybody who needs to access remote compute resources can use RSE, although the features perhaps apply a bit more to programmers than other types of users. We expect RSE to be used for accessing small embedded device just like accessing remote mainframe computers, and in fact we do currently have users and contributors in both areas. Looking at the trend to use Eclipse more and more for embedded software development, I'd expect also embedded software development use of RSE to increase in the future.

11- What other Eclipse projects does Target Management / RSE have dependencies on?

The core RSE framework just depends on Eclipse Platform. The CDT Remote Launch integration depends on CDT. In addition to those, we also have an experimental "Discovery" feature for finding remote systems through the DNS-SD protocol. This component depends on EMF 2.2.0.

12- Please provide your full name, title, project and your role in it.

Martin Oberhuber,
Member of Technical Staff at Wind River Systems, Inc.
Lead of the Target Management Project.

Thanks in advance.

You are welcome.
Feel free to browse our website, http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm for more information. Especially the upcoming Release Review Slides at http://www.eclipse.org/projects/slides/TM_1.0_Release_Review_v3.pdf are a good read since they cover the current state of the project quite accurately. For instance, you can read there that the current size of the TM source code is 230161 lines of code. The slide also lists the affiliated companies on slide #17. Another interesting fact is that we are conducting a planned and coordinated testing effort with many of our users, which is supported through the Eclipse Wiki - See
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/RSE_1.0_Testing
for details.

-END

===========================