[dsdp-mtj-dev] Initial "API" concerns

I was starting to think through the EclipseCon presentation yesterday and digging around to see what extension points exist. I see we've added a "Library" extension point to the system. I honestly don't know exactly what is going on there, but it "feels" very similar to the "API" extension point that exists in the core (from EclipseME). There is also the Profiles and Configurations extension point, which are kind of like specializations of the API extension point and drive some of the UI (also from EclipseME). This all seems a bit too much. Although I don't have a specific answer for how to resolve this, it definitely doesn't seem like we need 4 extension points here. It would be nice if we can understand all of the things being driven by these points and collapse these points down?

I think we should probably spend some serious time looking at the IDevice and related interfaces. As they stand right now, they are very much JavaME interfaces. It may be worthwhile to look at how we might boil down to the absolute minimum "launching" stuff and separate out some of the JavaME specifics into another interface? Anyway... these are the types of conversations that I would like to see us have before considering things "API complete".

Craig

Back to the top