Re: [dsdp-mtj-dev] Re: [Eclipseme-users] Why Switch to Eclipse Mobile Tools for Java?

Russel.

Thanks for your comments. I wanted to take a moment and thank Motorola for pulling the MTJ project back from the brink of destruction. I understand your concerns, but I have to say that Motorola is doing all of the right things to be open and transparent in the process. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join. It is important to understand that getting companies involved in a project like this is a pretty major undertaking. Those companies need to see the involvement as being beneficial to themselves as well as the community. It also has to be beneficial enough to overcome all of the legal hurdles associated with open source from a company perspective. All of this is non-trivial and requires time to make it happen.

I will let the other companies that have interests here speak up. You've already mentioned Sybase... Sybase jumped in after the MTJ reboot with some great contributions and are very active. I will also mention RIM because they have been publicly involved as well. While we will always look to grow the company and external committer involvement, I personally believe the project is very healthy for a first release and is much healthier than it was a year ago at this time.

My pitch to you... Stay involved as you have been with EclipseME. Your input has been very valuable to EclipseME just as it can be to MTJ. Feel free to be the "watchdog" for the project as well as providing other input. Community involvement is the best way to influence a project like MTJ.

Thanks,
Craig