From: dsdp-mtj-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:dsdp-mtj-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Hildum
Eric-XFQ473
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 6:35 PM
To: Mobile Tools for The Java Platform mailing list
Subject: [dsdp-mtj-dev] MTJ backwards compatibility

 Craig,

The reason we chose to go with a 0.91 release was to ensure that we had
at least one more release that would maintain compatibility with
Ganymede. Once we get on the release train, our fear was that it would
be difficult to maintain backwards compatibility as we will primarily be
testing and developing with the milestones from Galileo. It is very easy
to introduce a Galileo dependency, and we don't really have a large
enough community to be able to do full regression testing against
Ganymede.

Fundamentally, the question comes down to are there any features that we
will be introducing in the first half of 2009 as part of the release
train work and can be built without Galileo features that we would need
to make them available to Ganymede users instead of using them on a
milestone build of Galileo? Are these features so valuable that we
should reduce our feature list for the release train in order to support
the additional regression testing required?

If there is a feature that gives a yes answer to both questions, then we
should include backwards compatibility as part of the plan. If not, then
I think we are better off focusing effort on the release train work.

Eric Hildum
Senior Product Manager, Mobile Developer Tools & SDK
Software Platforms and Delivery
Ecosystem and Market Development
Motorola
Direct: +1-408-541-6809