Re: [dsdp-mtj-dev] Warning on incompatible debug settings

I figured out what is going on with this one and why I didn't see it in the first place. Given that the functionality is implemented in the EmulatorLaunchShortcut, it only applies when the shortcut is used to create a new launch configuration for a midlet. The next time the midlet is launched, it doesn't come through this path. If you happen to already have launch configurations in place because of a previous Run As... this code will never be triggered.

To improve on this is quite a bit more difficult. It involves hooking into the org.eclipse.mtj.core.internal.launching.EmulatorLaunchConfigDelegate class. This class is invoked on every run and debug. There is a method called "preLaunchCheck" that is already hooked up to verify some midlet settings. This would be the appropriate hook for the debugger settings. The tricky part is that this is in the core plugin that does not (should not) have direct access to the user interface. Thus, it needs to be handled by the UI plugin using an extension to the org.eclipse.debug.core.statusHandlers extension point. You can see where this is already done in the current code to handle some other communication places between the core and the UI plugins.

Since I'm traveling this week, I didn't want to get into this and not get it completed. If someone is willing to make the changes, I think it would work much better from the user's perspective if it is handled in this way. It will be more consistent and work no matter what the circumstances. In fact, it will work even if the user changes the debug settings back after we've altered them. I should be able to offer a bit of development support if there is any question on how to do this. I remember when I first had to get this going that it was tough to figure out how the pieces fit together.

One other comment. The error messages that are shown in the dialog concerning the debug settings should probably be more specific and call out that the problems are related to MTJ/Midlet debugging. As currently worded it sounds like things are much worse than they really are... That is personal opinion on that one.

Thanks,
Craig