Re: [dsdp-ercp-dev] Java 5 in devices

Gorkem Ercan schrieb:
> These numbers exactly indicate the problem that we are
> facing.Considering mainstream hardware configurations today any
> runtime that uses over 10 MB RAM does not get mainstream.
Well, we can treat this either as a problem or as a requirement ;-)

Do you think, that the cacao has the chance to become mainstream on
mobile phones, when startup speed and memory would be good?

- --Sebastian

> --
> Gorkem
>
> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 12:43, Sebastian Mancke <s.mancke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Gorkem,

> of course, this depends on the usage.
>
> The storage size of the complete runtime: ~12 MB
> A small java process: ~15 MB RAM
> A bigger java process (SWT, some libraries, some images): ~30 MB RAM
>
> On our Nokia n800 (TI OMAP 2420 @400 MHz) we have the following:
> Start up speed Hello World: 3 seconds
> Start up speed SWT Hello World: 10 seconds
> Once the code bytecode is compiled, it runs *very* fast.
>
> Even on the early linux mobile devices (e.g. yopy or zaurus with SA-1110
> CPU @206 MHz) it is possible to run the the vms.
>
> Currently our biggest problem is the start up speed. But we are hardly
> working on a JIT-cache for cacao to improve this.

> No. Just looked into it the APIs, somewhat. The Open C Layer should
> provide the most parts, we need: libc, libz, libpthread, libdl. But
> first we have to finish our JIT-cache. Currently jalimo fits our company
> needs, so the next extensions will be mostly driven by our personal
> interests ;-)
>
> Regards,
>  Sebastian

- --
tarent Gesellschaft für Softwareentwicklung und IT-Beratung mbH

Heilsbachstr. 24, 53123 Bonn    | Poststr. 4-5, 10178 Berlin
fon: +49(228) / 52675-0         | fon: +49(30) / 27594853
fax: +49(228) / 52675-25        | fax: +49(30) / 78709617
durchwahl: +49(228) / 52675-17  | mobil: +49(171) / 7673249

Geschäftsführer:
Boris Esser, Elmar Geese, Thomas Müller-Ackermann
HRB AG Bonn 5168
Ust-ID: DE122264941

Back to the top