Re: [dsdp-ercp-dev] Java 5 in devices

Hi Gorkem,

Gorkem Ercan schrieb:
> Hey Sebastian,
> Do you have any numbers what is the required hardware for having java
> 5 on a device.. Any CPU or memory requierements.
of course, this depends on the usage.

The storage size of the complete runtime: ~12 MB
A small java process: ~15 MB RAM
A bigger java process (SWT, some libraries, some images): ~30 MB RAM

On our Nokia n800 (TI OMAP 2420 @400 MHz) we have the following:
Start up speed Hello World: 3 seconds
Start up speed SWT Hello World: 10 seconds
Once the code bytecode is compiled, it runs *very* fast.

Even on the early linux mobile devices (e.g. yopy or zaurus with SA-1110
CPU @206 MHz) it is possible to run the the vms.

Currently our biggest problem is the start up speed. But we are hardly
working on a JIT-cache for cacao to improve this.

> By the way, did you already start doing a port of cacao for S60?
No. Just looked into it the APIs, somewhat. The Open C Layer should
provide the most parts, we need: libc, libz, libpthread, libdl. But
first we have to finish our JIT-cache. Currently jalimo fits our company
needs, so the next extensions will be mostly driven by our personal
interests ;-)

Regards,
  Sebastian

> --
> Gorkem
>
> On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Sebastian Mancke <s.mancke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are also able to run the most 1.5 applications: http://www.jalimo.org
> My hope is also to get one of those vm's (e.g. cacao) to Symbian S60,
> this year.
>
> Regards,
>  Sebastian

- --
tarent Gesellschaft für Softwareentwicklung und IT-Beratung mbH

Heilsbachstr. 24, 53123 Bonn    | Poststr. 4-5, 10178 Berlin
fon: +49(228) / 52675-0         | fon: +49(30) / 27594853
fax: +49(228) / 52675-25        | fax: +49(30) / 78709617
durchwahl: +49(228) / 52675-17  | mobil: +49(171) / 7673249

Geschäftsführer:
Boris Esser, Elmar Geese, Thomas Müller-Ackermann
HRB AG Bonn 5168
Ust-ID: DE122264941

Back to the top