Re: [dsdp-dd-dev] Memory view and addressable size

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:19:24AM +0900, Anthony Berent wrote:
> The ability to control memory read, on some hardware, been important for us.
> I too have come across examples where the value read depends on the read
> size, including cases where a registers is only readable at all when read as
> a certain size. In addition to the obvious cases, where this is specified as
> an obscure feature of the hardware there are two other cases I can think of:

This has been on the books as a wanted-future-addition to GDB for ages;
pending someone with an active need for it to spec out the details.
However, the really interesting question to me is: does anyone know of
hardware where we would want a debugger to be able to perform reads of
more than one size on a particular address?

Otherwise, this can be handled completely without user interface, based
on a device memory map description.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery