Re: [dsdp-dd-dev] local variables view modes

At 07:54 PM 6/11/2006, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
I suggest that you are asking the wrong question.

There's no practical way for the debugger to indicate that the value,
as presented by the debug information, might be wrong due to inadequate
debug information.  But it sounds to me like you've written off taking
advantage of compilers which do give you accurate information for both
language scope and storage.  When the debug info says the variable is
unavailable, it really is, and we should be sure to present that to the
user.

Take advantage of everything we have to keep the debugger as honest as
possible!

Well, I hadn't completely written it off. I merely had doubts. But in the end, I agree with you guys and we'll add the "unavailable variable" capability to our design. At this point, though, I'm not really seeing anyone saying they would find the feature useful--having an "All, Live, and NearPC" set of Variable view modes. Like I mentioned in my initial post, we're won't try to contribute it if that's the case. I'm not shutting that door though. If and when the community wants it, we'll be more than happy to throw it into the pool.

Thanks to all participants for the very useful feedback.

John

Back to the top