RE: [dsdp-dd-dev] SPIRIT vs a new standard XML schema? (wasDebugmodel and GDB?)

Doug,

I have posed a bunch of questions recently that perhaps are buried in
the discussion, but I think that the most pressing one to answer is
perhaps where people see this info being used.  The reason that I think
this is important to answer now is that it will impact what is useful to
have as far as tooling goes.  In effect, the questions is whether or not
it is profitable for us to write java XML parsing code specific to
SPIRIT or not.  I know that you guys (Wind) have a debugger architecture
similar to ours in that you have a native debugger back end that your
Eclipse front end communicates with.  If you need the info in your
back-end, then either you need to parse it in the back end as well as
the front end, or you need to parse it in the front end and push it
through to the back. (make sense?)

I do think that regardless of the outcome of the discussion above, we
need to start identifying the extensions that are needed in the SPIRIT
schema and creating tools that use them.  I think that SPIRIT is the
only real hope of getting info from the semiconductor vendors in a
format that is useful.  What we then do with that info (use it directly
or translate it to another format that we use directly) is another
discussion.

Aaron