[Dltk-dev] Apache Lucene indexer for DLTK

Hi All,

I would like to open a discussion on indexing in DLTK and a possibility to contribute some additional improvements by means of adding a new indexing engine to DLTK. Currently we are using DLTK H2 indexer in our project (PHP Development Tools) and we've found out that it brings some limitations for some of our particular use cases and overall performance issues. Due to this fact we decided to implement an alternative indexer engine based on Apache Lucene. Currently we are testing the very first version of it but we have already noticed a significant performance improvement in comparison to H2 indexer. Just to shed some light on the performance topic - indexing projects is ~40% faster, in some of the cases searching the index can be faster even up to 50% (in general searching speed is comparable with H2 but Lucene indexer seems to be faster overall). What's more, Lucene has better support for multi-threaded environment and the size of the index data on the drive is only about 40-50% of the H2 database size.

As we find these results very promising, we are thinking about contributing our solution to DLTK so it could be used as an additional choice for indexing engine in DLTK.

So, what do you think about it?

Greetings,
Bartlomiej

Back to the top