Re: [dash-dev] tool to delete one repo from other repo

If you have a composite repo, you can add/remove repos to/from the composite.

The metadata for compositing multiple repos is dead simple to create (either with a tool or by hand); there is tooling to add/remove from an existing repo too.

So... instead of creating a single repo which overlaps the product, you could create two (or more) repos which contain complimentary sets of IUs.

This is what we do for JBoss Developer Studio: we have one repo that contains the stuff from Eclipse.org we need (Web Tools, etc.), a second one with JBoss Tools' features, a third with third-party items (SpringIDE and TestNG) and a fourth with some experimental stuff. Then these sites can be combined into a single site from which to provide updates.

We also composite sites together to make testing easier and be able to build aggregate update sites more easily.

Here's a sample of the metadata files:

http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/_composite_/trunk/compositeArtifacts.xml
http://download.jboss.org/jbosstools/builds/staging/_composite_/trunk/compositeContent.xml

For more (and some discussion of the tooling available), see:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Composite_Repositories_%28new%29
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Ant_Tasks#Composite_Repository_Task

HTH,

Nick