[dash-dev] Re: Doing our releng project...

1) What is the interest of using a map file for the Integration build? (I understand the tag for the stable and release builds but not for the integration.)

Many projects choose to use `-forceContextQualifier -fetchTag HEAD` to override the tags in the maps for their Nightly (unstable) builds and override the qualifiers on their features/plugins w/ the build's timestamp. Why? It's a convenient way of quickly verifying that the latest in CVS will compile and test OK.

All other builds (I, M, S, R) ought to be built from tagged maps for reproduceability and stability: only tagged & released code therefore makes its way into an Integration, Maintenance, Stable or Release build.

Of course this is just a guideline; you may run your project any way you see fit provided that you follow the Eclipse.org project rules and don't violate IP policy. Not everyone likes maps; some prefer to always build from trunk/HEAD and only tag AFTER a successful build. As with all things, YMMV. :)

2) In all examples of build.properties I have seen, there are only dependencies to stable builds but never to snapshot. Isn't it a common practice or is it usually defined elsewhere or did I miss them?

Here's one build job that depends on the output of another using SNAPSHOT URLs from Hudson:

https://build.eclipse.org/hudson/view/Athena%20CBI/job/cbi-m2t-xpand-0.7/ws/build/org.eclipse.xpand.releng/build.properties
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.m2t/org.eclipse.xpand.releng/build.properties?root=Modeling_Project&view=markup

As you can see, that build depends on MWE, and points directly at its lastSuccessfulBuild:

https://build.eclipse.org/hudson/job/cbi-emft-mwe-0.7/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/snapshot/emft-mwe-SDK-incubation-N-Snapshot.zip

Cheers,

--
Nick Boldt :: http://nick.divbyzero.com
Release Engineer :: Eclipse Modeling & Dash Athena

Back to the top