Re: FW: RE: [dali-dev] Dali 1.0 Package and Plugin Name Change Notice

You might want to read the Eclispe Naming Conventions, http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Naming_Conventions, and see if consistent. I seems you new ones are more
consistent, but not quite. And, they do not _have_ to be perfiect consistent ... I recall some other cases in WTP where we felt the guidelines end up with less than ideal names.
(but dont' recall the details). So ... I'm just suggesting you know whether or not you comply, and if not, perhaps document the reasons why you thought it would be bad to do so.

And, if you have any suggestions on how the guidelines should be changed, perhaps you could add them to the 'talk' page. of that wike article.

Two other suggestions:
1. You might want to do your naming in clear, distinct phases ... one build for example, with just the first change with removal of jst done. , then another build with the 'internal' changes made.
This _might_ help people migrate, if they migrated their own code in steps.

2. You might consider saving the "refactoring scripts" you can have generated and offer that to you clients to help them rename their code. (I think that aiblity is in the base Eclipse now .... and I'm sure it's no silver bullet, but might be worth a try).

Thanks,

Brian Vosburgh <BRIAN.VOSBURGH@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: dali-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/28/2007 12:37 AM

Please respond to
"General Dali EJB ORM developer discussion." <dali-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

dali-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
FW: RE: [dali-dev] Dali 1.0 Package and Plugin Name Change Notice

While renaming our plugins, we should also rename some of our packages:

       Current Name                                Proposed Name
   jpa.core plugin
       ...jpa.core.java.internal            ...jpa.core.internal.java
       ...jpa.core.java.internal.util       ...jpa.core.internal.java.util

   jpa.utility plugin
       ...jpa.internal.utility              ...jpa.utility.internal
       ...jpa.internal.utility.iterators    ...jpa.utility.internal.iterators

   jpa.utility.tests plugin
       ...jpa.utility.tests                 ...jpa.utility.tests.internal
       ...jpa.utility.tests.iterators       ...jpa.utility.tests.internal.iterators

The proposed names simply move the "internal" package name node to immediately
following the plugin name portion of the package name.

Does this make sense?
Brian