Re: [dali-dev] extensibility of Dali for other specs or extened JPA features

A meeting has been scheduled to discuss these issues further.  Details below:

When: Thursday, October 05, 2006 10:00 AM-11:00 AM (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada); Tijuana.
Where: 1 866 214 3176, PC: 759131

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Topics:

1) For BEA JDO and JPA are 2 ORM APIs we support. Making those 2 APIs work smoothly together and in a similar way is important for us. So my ideal solution shares some kernel code and 2 Facades for JPA and JDO for the Tooling.

2) Depending on how this is architected we may be able to plug something in for JDO to do Tooling for JDO in as similar a way as what we choose for persistence. Are you in general open to that?

3) Eclipse based is important and this project provides that.

Shaun Smith wrote:
Hi Pinaki,

 Great to hear from you!  Responses below...

Pinaki Poddar wrote:
Hello,
   We are considering BEA's object persistence solutions to be
integrated with Dali tooling platform. In this regard,      a) what provisions exist in Dali design to add vendor specific
extensions (annotations, configurations) for JPA?

There is extensibility in the mapping model for vendors to add additional mappings beyond those in the JPA spec.  This extensibility is used in Dali itself with all JPA mappings implemented as extensions to the base.
     b) does Dali support JDO specification?

No.  Dali is focused on the JPA spec.  The JPA spec is complicated and tackling support for multiple specs would have complicated the tooling and pushed out the development schedule.
     c) if not (b), does Dali plan to support JDO in future?

There are no plans to do so.
     d) if not (c), would the design allow extension points to allow a
different spec such as JDO
The tooling is extensible so it may be possible to provide JDO support on top of Dali.  I can't quantify how hard that would be.
     e) if this is not the forum to ask such questions, what would be
the right mailing address for such questions?

You found the right place ;-).
I know BEA has both Kodo JDO and JPA products so I understand your need to build tooling for both.  SolarMetric, the original developers of Kodo, had JDO tooling but when JPA came along there was nothing available and SolarMetric became a founding member of the Dali project.  The goal of Dali is to fill this tooling and tool framework vacuum for Eclipse developers to get them productive and to provide vendors with a base upon which to build their own JPA products.  I hope the Dali tooling fits with your plans as we're definitely looking for more participation from JPA vendors as well as users.

--Shaun
  Thanks --

Pinaki Poddar
BEA Systems
415.402.7317
Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain
information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated
entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
by email and then delete it.