Re: [dali-dev] Primary Key Generation

Some comments:

2. Default Auto Generation

"-Should we show the ‘Generator’ Name text field in this situation?"
    I don't see why not, but it should disable with the strategy combo when primary key generation is unchecked.

"-How should we do the layout, a check box title group is not something that exists in eclipse"
    No, the pattern I've seen is to have a title for the group and a check box immediately below it that controls the enablement of the rest of the group.  See the "Add Java Persistence ..." wizard.  In addition, for highly optional settings, we should probably have collapsible groups.
    Eventually the generator name field should be an editable combo.

4. @TableGenerator Annotation Specified

"-What would happen if the user now switched to a strategy of AUTO or IDENTITY?  Should we remove the name annotation element?  What about the @TableGenerator annotation, I don’t think we should remove that."
    Does having a table generator with a non-table strategy even make sense?  Would it make sense to switch out the table generator UI part if the table strategy isn't selected?  If so, I certainly think it's reasonable to remove the table generator annotation if the user is choosing a strategy other than table, but I'm not certain it's the only reasonable thing to do.

- Paul

Karen Moore wrote:
I've attached a fairly basic document showing some of the use cases for Primary Key Generation specification.  I would like to get some feedback on this and included a few questions throughout the doc.  This does not yet include choosing generators that are defined at the entity level or on other classes. Feel free to respond on this list or we can talk briefly about it in tomorrow morning's meeting.

thanks,
Karen