Re: [dali-dev] Connecting to the database

I updated bug 100111 to further discuss the password storage option with the RDB/DTP team.

At this point, I am thinking our priority should be switching to the re-usable Connection Wizard Pages and investigating off-line DB support.  If we can pick up off-line DB support without too much effort, that seems to be the way to go.  We could also introduce a warning message if you are not connected to the database and you have no off-line content.  This would be an indication that you are not connected and that certain assistance would not be available in our tooling in this state.

For Entity Gen and DDL Gen, prompting would also be a nice to have.  At the very least we need to display a message that says you must be connected.

-Neil

Neil Hauge
TopLink Tools
Oracle Corporation
neil.hauge@xxxxxxxxxx

Trân Lê wrote:
Neil,

As a third option, Dali could store the user’s password (in an encrypted form), and connect automatically to the database when there is no live connection.
The user would have full control of the connection method:
 - work off-line
 - connect automatically
 - prompt for a password

-Tran

Leonard Theivendra wrote:
Sorry, you need to dig further to get at the info about re-usable
connection pages:
- go to http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/
- choose Web Standard Tools (WST)
- choose WST Components
- then choose "White Paper for RDB" in the rdb section

Leonard Theivendra
Websphere AST / IBM Software Solutions Toronto
email: theivend@xxxxxxxxxx
tel: (905) 413-3777  tie: 969-3777
fax: (905) 413-4920

Leonard Theivendra/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: dali-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
05/01/2006 11:14 AM
Please respond to
"General Dali EJB ORM developer discussion."

"General Dali EJB ORM developer discussion." <dali-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [dali-dev] Connecting to the database

Hi Neil, here are some my quick thoughts on this:

- I think whenever UI interaction is required for creating/managing
connections in a wizard, it is best to use the reusable rdb connection
wizard pages which lets you serve up the pages for choosing amongst
existing connections or creating new ones, prompting for uid/password,
etc. Further details are in http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/ (choose
"White Paper for RDB" and the "Re-usable Connection Wizard Pages Overview"

section).

- I agree with your last statement about first supporting off-line schema
mode before determining how to handle problems and db selections. I think
working off-line is a more common use case where the user requires the
initial live connection when starting things off (top down from entities,
bottom up from tables, etc), then further development is done with the
offline schema model. And if the actual database changes after the initial

connection, I suppose the next time the user makes the connection live,
the Dali validator will automatically show any problems right?

- If DTP ever exposes the support for persisting/loading/saving the schema

emf model (as an .xmi, which is what is done internally in offline mode),
then Dali could always use that model rather than relying on the
conneciton. I believe you mentioned that Dali uses a wrapper to deal with
the rdb model? If so, the the wrapper could first attempt to use the
connection failing which use the persisted rdb model.

- If the user doesn't choose off-line mode, then like you said it is
better to put up a non-intrusive warning about being disconnected rather
than popping up the reconnect dialog at various points.

Regards,
Len.

Leonard Theivendra
Websphere AST / IBM Software Solutions Toronto
email: theivend@xxxxxxxxxx
tel: (905) 413-3777  tie: 969-3777
fax: (905) 413-4920

Neil Hauge <neil.hauge@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: dali-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
04/28/2006 03:36 PM
Please respond to
neil.hauge and "General Dali EJB ORM developer discussion."

"General Dali EJB ORM developer discussion." <dali-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[dali-dev] Connecting to the database

One of the enhancements we wanted to make for the M3 milestone involves
prompting to connect to the database at certain points, as we are
currently dependent on live database information to provide all of our
functionality.  I wanted to post some thoughts on this to see if anyone
else had additional thoughts on this functionality.  Also, bugzilla is
currently down, so I couldn't enter this into an ER.

Here are some thoughts:
- Prompting should be done at specific points in time where a user has
requested to do something that requires a database connection.  This would

include things like generating entities from tables, and generating tables

from entities.
- For situations where you are in a dialog and being connected is not
required, but would be helpful, it would be nice to have a way to connect
from that dialog (Button or a Link).  This would apply to the Add Java
Persistence wizard and Java Persistence properties page.
- This leaves the issue of not getting resolution problems and DB
selections in the UI when disconnected.  For this case, it has been
suggested that some sort of visual indicator could be used.  It has also
been suggested that there could be a "Not connected" (warning level)
problem that stays around until you connect.  Basically all of this is of
the intent to help the user with reconnecting to the DB after starting a
new session.  Note: The Database Explorer already has a connect/disconnect

button in their ExplorerView, so we don't want to duplicate this
functionality.

Whatever we do, we want to steer clear of annoying the user.  Another
thing to consider is that we will eventually support off-line database
functionality, which would mean that working off-line would become a much
more common use case.

Let me know if you have any thoughts on how we could help the user out for

the 3rd case (problems and UI).  Perhaps we should look at adding off-line

schema support first and then determine what would be sufficient for the
3rd case?

-Neil

Neil Hauge
TopLink Tools