RE: [cosmos-dev] Rush Hour Traffic [[DON-->HAS READ THIS AGAIN!]]

OK...
We seem to be coming to the conclusion that we'd like to have multiple mailing lists.  I will point out that we do have COSMOS-MGMT list already.

The one thing that I think we should consider with Ruth's suggestion is that we are beginning to combine our meetings so that we are being more effective.  The Arch and DC and DV meetings have been combined into a single, albeit longer meeting.  I think we'd want to keep those discussions together.  Also, we have not mentioned the SDD work yet, which currently is going into the ME project.

One of the concerns that I have is I don't want to have the information become to "stratified".  It's possible you'd miss something b/c it's on a different list, rather than missing something b/c the one list is flooded.  Also, in TPTP, we sometimes saw the same message posted to multiple lists.  I think that's something we want to avoid as well.

Given that we have cosmos-mgmt, we can start improving our work now.  I think we can all agree to post meeting notices, and other PMC like things on that list.  Although I disagree with David--I think build information should be posted on the dev list.  We can also agree to start using the caps convention that Don and Ruth discuss.  This will help get things in order.  As we go through this exercise, we'll be able to determine how to organize the next list that we ask to be created.

-mw

Mark Weitzel | STSM | IBM Software Group | Tivoli | Autonomic Computing | (919) 543 0625 | weitzelm@xxxxxxxxxx

RE: [cosmos-dev] Rush Hour Traffic [[DON-->HAS READ THIS AGAIN!]]

Ebright, Don to: Cosmos Dev
02/07/08 07:44 AM

Sent by: cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Please respond to Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Ruth,

Your proposal sounds great as far as my needs are concerned.  It would make it easier for those of us who are pulled in many directions to avoid neglecting the urgent business of the project during busy periods.  The COSMOS has many full-time people who probably have an easier time keeping up, but reading a lot of email that isn't relevant is still a waste of time that they could use more productively.

I concur with using automation wherever possible.  Establishing separate mailing lists is a nice automated way of tagging everything that would otherwise accumulate in an unorganized way on cosmos-dev with minimum effort.

Your FYA was effective in attracting my attention, and I support using it as a standard way of calling attention to items that require quick action.  I would also find it useful to have standard tags for other urgent items like announcements to impromptu meetings or requests for input to decisions that need to be made quickly.  This would facilitate quick triage of priority emails when it isn't possible to take the time to read them all.

Don