Re: [cosmos-dev] RE: COSMOS DC: Review of Indexing examples

I am writing a wiki to capture the conclusion from yesterday's meeitng:  http://wiki.eclipse.org/COSMOSBrokerSpecification

I haven't finished writing.  So refresh the page from time to time to get my lastest updates.

_________________________
Hubert Leung
IBM Toronto Lab
hkyleung@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3382

Mark D Weitzel <weitzelm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

08/21/2007 09:27 AM

Please respond to
Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Mohsin, Jimmy" <Jimmy.Mohsin@xxxxxx>
cc
"Simmonds, Martin" <Martin.Simmonds@xxxxxx>, Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
[cosmos-dev] RE: COSMOS DC: Review of Indexing examples

OK....

So we seem to be getting some closure on a few things.  Here is what I think are the next set of things for us to do...

1.  Valentina/Hubert: Update the wiki page http://wiki.eclipse.org/SDMX_Example with our findings/discussion on SDMX.  We've covered a lot of ground here and I think we need to make sure we capture these thoughts.

2.  Martin/Hubert: Update the wiki page http://wiki.eclipse.org/COSMOS_Design_197867 with the new broker content, structure, etc...  We need to capture the alignment with SML concepts, the separation of concerns, query scenarios, and any API updates.

3. We need to make sure that Jimmy/Joel understand how we reached some of the conclusions from yesterday's discussion.

4. This will be a significant rev of the broker.  I'd like Jimmy/Martin/Bill to start posting small (<200LOC) patches to the bugzilla.  Hubert and Joel will review them to make sure they comply with the eclipse legal requirements et. and then begin to check them in.

5. Joel/Hubert: We should target Aug 31 for integration of the new broker into the code.

6. Balan: Sept 7 for a new rev of the end to end with this new broker code.  We'll need to review the impact to Sheldon.

Does this plan for the next few weeks make sense?

-mw

Mark Weitzel | STSM | IBM Software Group | Tivoli | Autonomic Computing | (919) 543 0625 | weitzelm@xxxxxxxxxx

"Mohsin, Jimmy" <Jimmy.Mohsin@xxxxxx>

08/21/07 02:48 AM

"Simmonds, Martin" <Martin.Simmonds@xxxxxx>, "Valentina Popescu" <popescu@xxxxxxxxxx>, Mark D Weitzel/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc
"Cosmos Dev" <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
RE: COSMOS DC: Review of Indexing examples

Mark,

1. Agree with Martin on his comment “
with the structure of keysets and dataset types is where I see this going”

2. I agree 100000% percent with Valentina’s statement “
SDMX is meant to be used for exchanging statistical data and any other usage of it is accidental and not meant to from a spec”.  I think for a VERY long time, SDMX was seen as THE mechanism for ALL our use cases.  As I have stated in past meetings numerous times, we have MANY high-value use cases that shuttle a VERY small amount of data around.  Using SDMX to fulfill these cases would have made no sense whatsoever.

3. That said, we should certainly use SDMX for what is meant to be used for, i.e. for managing statistical data.  We have a FEW use cases in this space as well.  However, if I had my way, I would implement some SIMPLE use cases first where I would demonstrate the simpler (non-SDMX) use cases first….

4. Type support  based registration makes a LOT of sense…

Thanks,

Jimmy Mohsin

+1-609-635-1703