[cosmos-dev] Elevator speech

 COSMOS is an open source, vendor neutral effort by operations
management vendors such as CA, Compuware and IBM to explore new and emerging

standards in the context of system monitoring.  COSMOS is developing an
exemplary
implementation using these open systems management standards.

   The above incorporates eveyone's review, except for the following issue: "What is the intended use for the COSMOS software?"

   I am fine with "ignoring" this for now, but I think that when you all go back to your sponsors, they will say:  "What (software) assets are we gonna get for this if we keep investing?"   Maybe not, but that is what I would ask.  Also, they may ask: "Is this thing gonna compete with us?"

    Are you all ok with ignoring what software assets are intended to be real?

--oec

<mdw>
Part of what we are developing is a consumeable set of services.  Chris is interested in shipping what we put together as part of his integration effort.
On that note, perhaps we can say something like, "leveraging management standards for integration"....
</mdw>

  marius said:

This is from the main COSMOS page:

"The COSMOS (COmmunity-driven Systems Management in Open Source) project aims to provide an extensible, standards-based platform upon which software developers can create specialized, differentiated and inter-operable offerings of tools for system management."

If you replace with platform with framework will read close to what I said.

In some interpretations platform could provide more that what a framework would do and in others they can mean the same thing (I prefer the second).

Regarding the "commercially competitive" comment, the level of competitiveness will be set by the participants (I mean the companies that contribute) to the project and I think that happens in all the other Eclipse projects.

Oliver E Cole                                  oec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
OC Systems                                     www.ocsystems.com
9990 Lee Hwy, Suite 270                        (v) 703.359.8160 x160
Fairfax, VA, 22030                             (f) 703.359.8161

Back to the top