Re: [cosmos-dev] Elevator Speech

Oliver,

<mdw></mdw>

p.s. You will need to execute the following code:

OliverEmailParser oxp = new OliverEmailParser(eMail);
oxp.rtfm();

Mark Weitzel | STSM | IBM Software Group | Tivoli | Autonomic Computing | (919) 543 0625 | weitzelm@xxxxxxxxxx

Oliver E Cole <oec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/21/2007 09:40 AM

Please respond to
Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[cosmos-dev] Elevator Speech

 Ok, here is my first cut at the elevator speech for COSMOS, so we have
something to yell about at the beginning of the phone call.  Please feel
free to yell by email beforehand....   Specifically, do each of you
think that your management would agree that they want to continue to
":invest" in COSMOS with this elevator pitch?

 COSMOS is an open source, vendor neutral effort to explore emerging
standards in the context of system monitoring.  COSMOS is developing a
demonstration implementation using those open standards to prove the
concepts.   Standards being explored are: SML, CML, WSDM..
<mdw>
Part of what we are developing is a consumeable set of services.  Chris is interested in shipping what we put together as part of his integration effort.
On that note, perhaps we can say something like, "leveraging management standards for integration"....
</mdw>

  Questions:
  ------------

  i) Can we list the specific standards that we are exploring?  Or do
we want to say "Standards being explored include..."  Is my list
complete enough?
<mdw>
Given this is an elevator pitch, rather than listing them, would could say "standards used for Systems Management"
</mdw>
 ii) It would be more powerful to say that montoring vendors are
cooperating together to do this.   Can we?  Something like "COSMOS is an
open source, vendor neutral effort to explore emerging standards in the
context of system monitoring.  The effort includes monitoring vendors
IBM, CA, CompuWare and GroundWork."
<mdw>
It is important to note the vendors that are working together.  Over time, COSMOS will evolve to be about more than monitoring, so I'd like to have a broader term.  We could say something like "operations management vendors such as CA, Compuware, and IBM....".
</mdw>

--oec