Re: [corona-dev] A webdav "Repository"

Do you mean the Apache HTTP server with mod_dav, or some Java web application that can be put into the Jetty servlet container within Corona server? If the later, could you give some link?

I don't exactly understand what you mean by "The benefits would be we would not have to create many small RepositoryAdapters for individual files". We can have some abstract adapter that can talk with WebDAV, but on top of that we have to write an adapter that is able to read the content of the file exposed with WebDAV. So, one adapter that is able to parse our team member xml file, the second one to something else. WebDAV for me is just a way to retrieve and write content. But FTP server could be used for this as well.

Marcin

Everitt, Glenn napisał(a):

After talking with the Buckminster people, I started to implement the remote access to TeamMember.xml file as an example of how to create a simple RepositoryAdapter. As I am coding the example I keep thinking that the thing to do is to just implement a webdav based RepositoryAdapater so that properly authorized users (based upon our TeamMember file) can access files via webdav made visible through Apache web server configuration. Edyta has been working on webdav interface to Jackrabbit which involves determining the mapping from webdav commands to Jackrabbit JCR commands which aren’t really documented (meaning it hard work to figure this out). This RepositoryAdapter I am proposing would use only existing webdav support. I believe we can use the eclipse webdav plugin that Edyta discovered for the client interface and we would need to configure Apache to start the webdav service as well as define a “Corona Repository Directory for files. The other issue is configuring the Apache HTTP Digest Authentication.

The benefits would be we would not have to create many small RepositoryAdapters for individual files. I am expecting that Buckminster will start with 1 file and then add many files over time. We could reuse that the webdav RepositoryAdapter with the same repository descriptor. The RepositoryAdapter fetchResource api would specify the file name as the resource name. I think with Edyta’s webdav experience the client RepositoryAdpater could be put together quickly. I don’t know how much work configuring Apache webdav would be or how difficult it is to make this approach reasonable seamless and yet secure.

Does anyone have any experience with Apache Server webdav configuration or security issues?

Glenn Everitt