[corona-dev] Eclipse Summit summary

General impressions

·        In general I find the conference very successful.

·        People are aware of Corona project, but they do not know what is it all about. They do not find project description at the web page anyway helping in understanding the goal. I think we need a more clear description, with at least once using word “collaboration”.

·        People are confused about ALF and Corona. They find it as competing solutions. We need to distinguish what is ALF and Corona about. Additionally find the intersections of scopes and work with them closer on it. Some use cases seem to be pretty similar.

·        DEMO, DEMO, DEMO… a five minute demo gives much stronger understanding of Corona than half an hour presentation. The flash movie at the web page is crucial.

·        I have done some demos at server side symposium and to people from Buckminster and Apogee projects. You could hear some “I’d like to use it”, which is encouraging.

·        I think we could have a bigger exposure if we had a poster session. I’ve seen that during posters people were gaining a lot of contacts.

ECF

They have done a new API for remote services. It provides a service model similar to the OSGi services. It includes a distributed service registry. The default or current implementation doesn’t use SOAP but Scott said there is no problem to use SOAP provider for this.

JCR Browser

I’ve met Sandro Bohme who has written JCR Browser in his free time (http://sourceforge.net/projects/jcrbrowser). He is really willing to help us with JCR.

Apogee

·        I have made a contact with them. I have a business card of the presenter, so we can call him if we need to.

·        The presenter didn’t confirm the timeline that we could see in their proposal preview, neither provided any specific date or their current status.

·        The problem with GPL libraries is not yet resolved. The db4j is no longer used, but still the femambol is there.

·        They didn’t obtained the CVS access yet and this is the reason why there is no source.

·        Our collaboration solution is not what they need. They need something for document flow.

Buckminster

·        http://www.eclipse.org/buckminster/ - this is generally a build tool. It’s unique feature is that they can resolve dependencies.

·        I had like 5 or 6 talks with them during the conference. They are very interested to work with us. They even asked how can they hook into your context definition. There was also an idea of somehow merging our definitions.

·        The feature I think we would like to use is importing a project into a workspace. Their import is with dependencies while our is only source code.

·        The definition might be either a full build definition or a source code only. So to have import only, you need to define where the source code is. But this can be a full build script, so there is even bigger reuse then.

·        They have some repository adapters as we have. Possibly we could share it.

·        I have pointed them the JCR. They become really interested in it. Firstly they want to make a proof of concept implementation and if it works, then even change their way of repository accessing through JCR. That could make it easier to integrate if we both use JCR.

·        They have addressed also a problem of branches. What if someone works on lets say version 1.2 an other 2.0. Are those different contexts?

Server side symposium

The overall idea was rather to see what people are working on. Mostly people were interested in Equinox for web applications and servlet bridge. Unfortunately I couldn’t represent our group as good as Joel would. I’ve made a quick demo of Corona, which went pretty well, apart from that shared editor has failed. I just pointed that we are to use SCA, but it didn’t meet with any interest.