RE: [corona-dev] Extension points vs Services.

I attempted to use declarative services for startup of the ProjectContainer.   The problem I had is that the Declarative Services bundle needs to be started early in the start up process.  I attempted to do this with eclipse/configuration/config.ini and start level but couldn’t get this to work with eclipse RC5.  If you can’t guarantee that Declarative Services starts before other bundles requiring the bundles started by Declarative Services the services won’t be available.  I couldn’t think of a good place to manually start the Declarative Services bundle.  So to use this we would need some more investigation.

Glenn Everitt

From: corona-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:corona-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Marcin Okraszewski
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 3:19 AM
To: Corona development
Subject: [corona-dev] Extension points vs Services.

Comming back to the subject from yesterday's conference. Here is an extract from Peter Kriens article, an Equinox commiter,   http://www.osgi.org/blog/2006/01/eclipse-corona-project-distributed.html

"Extension points used to have the advantage of lazy initialization, that is, no class loader of the provider was created until the provider was used. Originally extension points were a pure Eclipse feature but the Equinox team has ported this to a bundle so all OSGi Service Platforms can use this mechanism. However, declarative services provide a better solution today, extension point are an Eclipse 2.0 legacy. "

It seems that even though we use extension points, it can be used by any OSGi plantform if it uses the bundle for it. But should we rather use declarative services? I'm not that much into declarative services, but based on what I know it seems that extension points have more power in terms of "lazy initialization".

Marcin