Re: [cdt-dev] Is there interest in a rewritten managed build?
  • From: Mark Goodchild <mark.goodchild@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 11:01:55 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=renesas.com; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=renesas.com; dkim=pass header.d=renesas.com; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-ChunkCount:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-0:X-MS-Exchange-AntiSpam-MessageData-1; bh=d8MHCbKNf9sv9FvL7betL23exKq67s27uGaWMcvFkS0=; b=imdF0n9HvurpB8DVCxdSA6FaQwbc6la2fIahMUaEmSKhdMPhQ1xSDiG3k1x+U8eKiXKjm47R/BxxVeOCPmnXwhpoBp0O9GHpvlnLyaiYE5tv1JnqIBne63tzBWx90mcpTZFTWzv2OPFXIrNw01h62C0x50J1Uo3aLOGtxbhUHE8r+joyyquGke/DqsrnFuTlq2vjUAs4Wnp2KsMPSl5fUHStrDF/LI76UDYGT85+JqFyD4yk3gnxKQmNQWc4I+PMlZLzhgmM0Kw/PZxDr7QUAbG/mw4i5FRGEiGU+53nQAX7KnkhQIYPyJmdu1A1tFKsNEJ4TisHN+4iBbHzs8Krow==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=IbRQRCV48Tn0/pwRnQ4TPgWc0MbfiYxK0l9u2vfpglSGATo1htm5dVW3BxWCNLyTemicsIgbrtmyeZDQGhCz7XW72DfDC1qLgmWNTPTS+mzVsTqIN++Wh2ZFpnLxQm/i2v/6lY6Q9aW0d//vLyWa1mVerEKgAU/RK1/gvHX2V6SZPbGFoL1RLNesLzxX6f0EHxTlgbX8YMTTsR9e2MgNp10ZPFFh6ZDbX+pED4SFN+jVEuQs+2DQR82GyqNM7zKHy6N0Wl9BlZmCz+Hpe64rT9LQqOhsFA9YmHGQcz77rMYEJ1UjJqGR0TWqK9EVburvYNNOGRG5WOc7K+alqf2Jcw==

Hi all,

I agree with much of what Alessandro and Erwin has said.

Our product currently uses managed build. We have invested heavily in this and on the most part it does what we need.

We have requirements from customers that like managed build as it is relatively easy to get started and there is GUI for setting up the build.

But now it is old and certainly is not getting much investment.

We also have customers that complain about the same things outlined in Alessandro’s mail. It is not easy to use managed build for C.I. and Headless build is not satisfactory for this purpose, etc., etc.

So our requirements have definitely moving towards CMake driven build for us too. Partially I think due to the increase in C.I. usage throughout development teams.

While harder to setup for some users – it is transparent and easy to customize and integrate many different tools.

So longer term -> “non IDE dependent build system is a must have for us” this will also be our requirement I think.

The question I have is whether it is possible to bridge these different types of users.

e.g. Provide some simple GUI within the IDE that sits on top of the non-IDE dependent build system.

This might make CMake type build a more attractive proposition for novice users.

We did start an initiative sometime back to consider this for CDT moving forwards.

But sadly we did not make a big enough investment to really get it going.

Definitely interested in this discussion moving forwards.

Best regards,

Mark.