Re: [cdt-dev] Managed Core Build

My 2 cent

The current managed build system is not really maintainable.
I have considered rewriting it, but the big problem is "How to guarantee that existing applications will work with the new toolchain"

That is also the concern Liviu shares.

I think there are 2 ways to go:

1) build a new system next to the old one (like with version numbers and deprecate but still include the old version)

2) Test, test, test

Both have there pro's and cons but I believe the first one (having the 2 next toe ach other for a while) is the only viable. This because the second will cost quite a bit user satisfaction. Let me explain why.

The first reason lies within the current test set. If I look at the current set of unit test I have my doubts about the quality and the code coverage. I have seen in the code "strange things" that are there for historical reasons and have results in the makefiles.There are likely unit tests to see if this works.  So for each test that fails, for non-obvious reasons, the question will be asked "Why was this test added in the first place?". This is going to cost lots of "effort and goodwill".

The second reason lies within the community. We can ask the community to test their environment but we all know that "real issues" will pop-up when the old system is taken  off-line. In other words full coverage test is an illusion in a open distributed community. Note that this will hit us in the 2 scenario's. However the impact is less dramatic. In the first scenario the answer is "we told you and you had version X to migrate" in the second case we just loose credibility.

Best regards

Jantje

PS Sloeber copied the managed build system to fix some issues. I tried to get these changes in the original managed build system and many of the thoughts are based on this experience of trying to get the issues into CDT. Even though sloeber copied the toolchain I'm not confident that Sloeber would work when the managed build system is replaced. So I share the same concerns as Liviu does.