Re: [cdt-dev] help needed: CDT refactoring test suite results

Hi Richard

As far as I know, there isn't much documentation online about the automated refactorings available in CDT. The wiki refers to an inactive server at our site. However, the contents had not been updated for ages and I doubt it would have been useful for what you are looking for. We recently had a master student, Daniel Marty, who has been working on improvements to the refactorings in CDT. Hansruedi Patzen volunteered to work on the integration of them. As the changes (improvements) have been quite extensive, it might take a while.
I'll check whether I can get the documentation of Daniels' term project online for public access. There is an eclipsebook about it. The refactoring chapter is rather short [1].

Until then, the "Refactor" menu might be a good point to get started. I features the following automated refactorings:
- Rename, for any kinds of renaming.
- Extract Local Variable
- Extract Constant
- Extract Function
- Toggle Function: This refactoring three-way toggles the implementation of a function. From "inline member function in class in header" to "inline member function outside of class in header" to "member function in source file" and back to inline in class.
- Hide Method: Should better be named "Hide Member Function" to adhere to C++ terminology. It makes a public member function private. Thinking about it, we should probably move that to the source menu, as it is not an actual refactoring.
- Expand Macro: A refactoring the inlines object- and function-like macros.

Best Regards
Thomas

[1] http://eclipsebook.in/c-cpp-development/editing-code/refactoring/