Re: [cdt-dev] help needed: CDT refactoring test suite results

In article <MWHPR13MB123067078B4A8994A7CDB90396C60@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
    Nathan Ridge <zeratul976@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi Richard,
>
> > I created a test suite for C++ refactoring tools.  You can find it on
> > github here: <https://github.com/LegalizeAdulthood/refactor-test-suite>
>
> I've come across this before. Really neat stuff, thanks for doing this!
>
> > I would love to report results for CDT.  Is there someone out there
> > who would be willing to test CDT against the test suite and submit a
> > pull request to incorporate the results?
> >
> > Having manually executed the tests myself, I'm able to say that this
> > is probably 4-8 hours worth of someone's time to execute the test
> > cases and record the results.
>
> To clarify, you're suggesting to run the test cases manually?

That's how I've been doing it; I haven't figured out a way to automate
it.  Ultimately a human has to look at the code and judge it for
reasonableness.  Some things generated by refactoring tools are
"correct" but I would never accept it from a peer on my team :).

> I wonder if it would make more sense to add a new test suite
> to CDT's automated tests which runs your test cases. That way,
> we can get an up-to-date set of results at any time by running
> the new test suite.

If you can find a way to run things in an automatic way for CDT, that
would be better than nothing!  A minimal smoke test of each
refactoring is to build the project from CMake which will compile the
code and execute it.  Running the code does some simple unit test like
assertions to verify that the refactoring is not only preserving
syntactical correctness, but also semantic correctness.
            The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>