Re: [cdt-dev] Adding autotools support to core builder

Actually, let me be clearer, When I say IDE I mean QNX Momentics, not the Eclipse C/C++ IDE. I have no intention of actually removing MBS until it is a full replacement for everyone and then only if no one objects. Mind you, right now, we have no maintainer of MBS, so if someone does object, I would expect them to take over maintenance of it 😉.

More comments below.

Doug

I think it would be cool if someone ported MBS over to Core Build. MBS started out to provide a similar user experience to Visual Studio, and as it turned out year later, Xcode. I can see that still being a requirement for some.

> Does the Arduino stuff use Core Build yet? Maybe I should take another look
> at that, because last time I used it, it seemed to offer that experience.

Yes, Arduino is on Core Build. It's a bit of strange beast though since there are no build settings for it. Everything is pretty statically defined by the metadata files shipped with the board SDKs.

> > BTW, both Xcode and Visual Studio have launch bars.
>
> Going off on a tangent, and the Xcode launch bar has recently annoyed me -
> all I wanted in my static library project was to generate a debug build and a
> release build of my static library for different platforms, I did not want to
> launch or debug or profile anything. I couldn't achieve that without creating
> arcane "schemes", because the choice between debug and release
> configurations was hidden behind the lanuch bar's build/run/test verbs. But
> maybe that's just because I hadn't used Xcode for a couple of years.

I just added the concept of a Generic Target for Core Build projects that simply set the OS and Arch to allow for the automatic Toolchain selection to work. That should be simpler than Xcode schemes. And I imagine there are other ways to make it even simpler. But at the end of the day, build configurations need to know the toolchain.

> I am actually vaguely interested in the Eclipse launch bar, because we have
> implemented something similar at Indel and might want to transition to the
> launch bar in the long term. I don't spend a lot of my time on Eclipse/CDT so
> these things have been on the back burner, but I was recently working on
> updating our IDE from Mars to Oxygen and so they have caught my attention
> again.

Cool. That's why I'm bringing this up now to encourage everyone to take another look at the Launch Bar. I am putting together a slide package for the deep dive at EclipseCon and will share that with the rest of the community right after that.