[cdt-dev] CDT & Eclipse Automotive Industry Working Group

Dear all,

some of you might have already learned that the Eclipse Autmotive
Industry Working Group is being founded:
http://www.eclipse.org/org/industry-workgroups/autowg.php

One of the major topics of the current OEMs and 1st-tier is on enhancing
some features of the CDT and I would like
to test the waters to see if there has been any discussion / activities
on the following issue brought up by one of the 1st-tiers:

Analysis of executables:
The problem
-We have lots of tools that read information from executables, debug
information, map files
-Different compilers generate different file formats or dialects
-Supporting a wide range of input formats for every tool is a lot of effort
-We expect that every large scale embedded software development has
similar tools
-But very few are published – probably because they are so specific to a
problem or platform

-The proposed solution
-Establish a standardized interface to decouple information providers
from consumers
-Individual information providing plugins for each compiler / platform
-Tools can be generic and easily published

The idea would be to work on providing a plugin that provides the
functionality to get information out of ELF/DWARF/COFF/stabs et al. for
things like a memory layout viewer, code size analysis, address
extraction, component budget checks. etc.

Has this already been addressed in any of the CDT discussions?

Best Regards,

Andreas

--
Andreas Graf