Re: [cdt-dev] Programmatically excluding files from build "on-the-fly"

On 18 November 2010 13:52, Christian Walther <walther@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If I understand correctly, this approach would require, as you say, to
> compile the OS into libraries beforehand, since configurations can export
> libraries, but not source locations. That would be a bit of a departure from
> what we have done in the past (the reasons for which are not my area of
> expertise), so whether to follow that path would be a somewhat more involved
> decision.

Indeed.  There are benefits in splitting out related components into
self-contained projects.  You can more easily unittest the API,
incremental and clean build may become faster as you don't need to
rebuild all the code quite so frequently.

> I'm confused, are you saying that I wouldn't get that in the
> resource-filter/source-path-exclusion scenarios? Doesn't the indexer index
> the same set of files as goes into the build?

That is true.  From your original post it sounded like you're changing
these paths on the fly just before build and/or changing them
frequently enough that you're worried about metadata files changing.
The indexer and build system will be working quite hard re-generating
makefiles and rebuilding/indexing source unnecessarily. I'm not sure
whether the indexer picks up dynamic configuration changes today - you
may need to schedule a re-index.
If in fact the layout of source only changes rarely then this isn't a
problem, but in that case it should be straightforward to model the
project using configurations.

Cheers,
James

Back to the top