Re: [cdt-dev] [DSF] SessionType

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 11:48:59AM -0400, Marc Khouzam wrote:
> > Unfortunately, despite quite some years of experience with gdb, I have
> > no idea what LOCAL and REMOTE means.
>
> REMOTE is when we connect to a gdbserver.
> LOCAL is when we use GDB on the host only.

I've got to agree with Vladimir.  By labelling these things as LOCAL
or REMOTE and making decisions based on the type, it becomes hard to
support types that aren't exactly what you envisioned for LOCAL or
REMOTE; and that covers a whole lot of ground with GDB and the many
ways people use it.

Who knows if someone has assumed "LOCAL" means profile output will
appear on the local filesystem, or means not to use RSE to launch
gdbserver on the target, or means to use run instead of continue?

> > - If I do 'target remote | local-something', is this remote or not?
>
> What does that command do?

It runs a program on the host system which speaks the GDB remote
serial protocol.  That can talk to a remote device, or even run on a
remote system ( e.g. target remote | ssh blah ... ).

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery

Back to the top