RE: [cdt-dev] [DSF] SessionType

This is DSF-GDB specific.  (just to be fair to DSF :-))

> Unfortunately, despite quite some years of experience with gdb, I have
> no idea what LOCAL and REMOTE means.

REMOTE is when we connect to a gdbserver.
LOCAL is when we use GDB on the host only.

> - If I do 'target sim', is this remote or local? Note that not only
> simulator runs on the same machine as gdb, but also there's no
> TCP communucation going on.

DSF-GDB does not support that, but it sounds like a LOCAL case.
You may have to adapt what we do in that case though, as it may
not follow the same exact steps as a standard debug session
(which we assume LOCAL means).

> - If I do 'target remote | local-something', is this remote or not?

What does that command do?

> - If I do 'target mdi', which is actually connecting to something
> that may be either a simulator running locally or a real board, what
> session type do I use?

I don't know that one either.

> Would it not be better to remove session type completely, and use
> more detailed switches, like 'should run or continue to be used
> when starting program', or 'run can be used to restart'.

If the problem is using -exec-run or -exec-continue, then the
service which dispatches those commands can be overridden to handle
the cases you want to deal with.

Marc

Back to the top