Re: [cdt-dev] Importing Existing Code

> I disagree. Beginners want to use managed. Since this is a usability
> issue, I think it makes sense to support managed too. I'm a CS student
> and people who know how to write Makefiles are in the minority. The
> majority come from Visual Studio or they are too lazy to write/learn
> Makefiles. I personally use the managed "workaround" 90% of the time. Is
> there a bug opened for the Makefile project case? I'd be happy to help
> with the managed project case.

It really depends on what kind of beginner you are talking about.

You are talking about the "beginner programmer" that has no effort invested in existing infrastructure.  There are other kinds of beginners... e.g. the "experienced programmer with existing code that is new to Eclipse" beginner, and the "crotchety old UNIX guy that doesn't use IDEs and likes it that way but is forced to by management" beginner.  They all have different needs and wants.

Back to the point though.  I don't think it's too likely that someone is going to import a non-trivial chunk of existing code that doesn't already have some build infrastructure associated with it.  Chances are that whomever wrote all that code you're importing compiled it at some point, and has bundled the build scripts with the code.

Managed build would come more into play if you were trying to use CDT on a big chunk of code that was built in a way that CDT couldn't support with the "makefile project" model.  E.g. you are taking code originally written using MS Dev Studio that you want to build, but you can't because CDT can't directly build from a .dsp file, so you import all the code and use managed build so you don't have to write your own build script by hand.

===========================
Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT and RDT
IBM Toronto

Inactive hide details for Marc-Andre Laperle ---03/10/2010 04:04:58 PM---Hi Doug, First, let me say that I think this is a greaMarc-Andre Laperle ---03/10/2010 04:04:58 PM---Hi Doug, First, let me say that I think this is a great idea!

Marc-Andre Laperle <malaperle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

03/10/2010 04:04 PM

Re: [cdt-dev] Importing Existing Code

Sent by:

cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

On 10-03-10 2:16 PM, Doug Schaefer wrote:
>  Makefile project is assumed since it's unlikely you'd use this
> feature to add managed make to existing code (if you need to, you can
> use the previous workaround).

I disagree. Beginners want to use managed. Since this is a usability
issue, I think it makes sense to support managed too. I'm a CS student
and people who know how to write Makefiles are in the minority. The
majority come from Visual Studio or they are too lazy to write/learn
Makefiles. I personally use the managed "workaround" 90% of the time. Is
there a bug opened for the Makefile project case? I'd be happy to help
with the managed project case.

Marc-Andre