[cdt-dev] C project settings in Eclipse. Finding which ones I used, what they are, editing, etc.

This probably isn't really a dev issue per se, but I'd like the
developers to hear about it, so here I go...  I'm hoping that someone
reads this and figures out that a small change to the GUI or the
documentation would help out guys like me.

I wear a variety of hats at work, one of which is banging out some
embedded C code from time to time.  I probably start a new C project
once a year.

I've been using eclipse for 3 years.  I love it.  Its a great work.
I've watched the CDT plugin mature and grow and its excellent.  I am so
thankful to be able to use Eclipse for all my projects.

But I have a problem.  I have a very hard time getting a new project set
up correctly.  I always seem to have a problem selecting the right C
project options and getting that first build to work properly.  I know
its silly.  I know it should be simple, but somehow it isn't for me.

Let me share my latest situation with you.

I have an embedded C project that is all set up and working very well in
Eclipse.  I set it up 2 years ago.  It uses a makefile that I hand
wrote.  It compiles and links and builds just like I want it to. Bliss.

Last week I needed to start a new project.  I wanted it to be set up the
same as my existing project, so I cloned it by duplicating the project
directory in the workspace outside of Eclipse (ie with Dolphin in F10)
and then creating a new project in Eclipse and importing the files from
the directory.

All this worked fine except that it doesn't build properly, it has link
errors.  When I investigate further, it looks like it might not be using
the makefile and I suspect that I have selected the wrong C project
settings when I set up the project.  The reason I suspect this is that
when I look at the project properties, I see different options for
building and such in the first project than in the cloned project.

The key word in that sentence is "suspect".  I'll get to that in a bit.

What is actually wrong with my project is irrelevant.  I'll figure it
out shortly.  The real issue is that I seem to get into this situation
every time I start a new project.

Lets start from the top.

When I create a new C project, I use File->New.  That allows me to
select the "C Project" entry.  I do.

Then I am presented with the Project Type.  Executable, Shared Library,
Static Library and Makefile project.  Its obvious, that I want a
Makefile project, right ?  I'm pretty sure I selected the Empty Project
under it.

In the toolchain box I see "Other Toolchain" and "Linux GCC".  I am
using arm-elf-gcc as my toolchain.  I am pretty sure I selected
"Other".

I complete the creation of my project.

However, when I go into my clone project, Under Properties, Build
Variables in the Configuration box it is showing Linux GCC.
Furthermore, I am supposed to be able to change the configuration of the
project if I use "Manage Configurations".  I try this, but I can't seem
to get a project that allows me to use an "Other toolchain" and nor can
I get the project builder properties to look like they do in the first
project.

At this point I'm stuck.  I obviously haven't set up my project
correctly.  I want the build options in Project->Properties to look like
they do in project #1.  I don't really know what I selected when I did
set this project up.  Nor the one from 2 years ago.  I can't seem to
edit what I do have set up.   And I don't really know what I would call
what I have set up.  I'm frustrated and confused.

Furthermore, I know that the build options in my first project are
different than the cloned project, but I only figured that out by making
when I noticed that one screen had options that the other didn't.  For
the first 30 minutes of troubleshooting this, I missed that point.
Sure, its pretty obvious to someone that works with Eclipse every day,
but its probably been a year since I last looked at project properties
in Eclipse and there doesn't seem to be a way to open two project
properties dialogs simultaneously.  I finally resorted to getting a
screen shot of each window and placing them side by side.

I've consulted the Help manual throughout this process.  I'm not sure it
handles my situation.  I understand that developers are busy people and
that its difficult and time consuming to develop documentation that
handles every situation.

I'm not sure what should become of my post.  I just wanted to
communicate that some of us find the project creation process to be a
bit complicated.  I know that for everyday Eclipse users, this is
trivial.  But for someone that does this once or twice a year, its a
different story.

My solution to this problem will be to create another clone project
using slightly different selections until I find the combination that
gives me the same setup as project #1.

Sorry this is so long.  I wanted to give the full context so that reader
might understand the whole situation.

Thanks for listening.

Back to the top