From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Oberhuber, Martin
Sent: 30 May 2008 12:57
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: [cdt-dev] How to create a CDT Standard Make Project

Hi all,

I just came across what I find a MAJOR hurdle for
CDT Newbies, or people upgrading from earlier versions.

I wanted to create a CDT Standard Make project; looking
for the corresponding project type that used to be there,
I didn't find it so I chose "C Project".

On the page where I can select Project types, I found a
folder "Makefile Project" and below it an item "Hello world
C++ Project". So, no way to create a normal Makefile
Project?

It took a CDT committer (Markus) to tell me that I can
actually select the FOLDER named "Makefile Project"
and it's a valid project type. It might be obvious for
CDT committers and power users, but I don't think that
any newbie would ever find that out by himself.

What about making the folders non-selectable and adding
separate items below them for the normal config? Or,
going with a tree like this:

Managed Build Executable/
   +- CDT Executable Project
   + Examples/
         Hello World C++ Project
Managed Build Shared Library/
   + CDT Shared Library Project
Makefile project/
   + CDT Makefile Project
   + Examples/
         Hello World C++ Project

Or, even a tree like this:

Managed Build/
    + Executable
    + Shared Library
    + Static Library
    + Empty Project
    + Examples/
           Hello World C++ Project
           Hello World ANSI C Project
Makefile Project/
    + CDT Makefile Project
    + Examples/
          Hello World C++ Project

Where the folders (boldface) are not selectable but just
expandable containers for the subnodes.

Cheers,
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm

Back to the top