Re: [cdt-dev] How to create a CDT Standard Make Project

I agree.

And don't get me started about the "No Toolchain" entry either...

===========================

Chris Recoskie
Team Lead, IBM CDT Team
IBM Toronto
http://www.eclipse.org/cdt

Inactive hide details for "Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

          "Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          05/30/2008 07:56 AM

          Please respond to

cc

Subject

[cdt-dev] How to create a CDT Standard Make Project

Hi all,

I just came across what I find a MAJOR hurdle for
CDT Newbies, or people upgrading from earlier versions.

I wanted to create a CDT Standard Make project; looking
for the corresponding project type that used to be there,
I didn't find it so I chose "C Project".

On the page where I can select Project types, I found a
folder "Makefile Project" and below it an item "Hello world
C++ Project". So, no way to create a normal Makefile
Project?

It took a CDT committer (Markus) to tell me that I can
actually select the FOLDER named "Makefile Project"
and it's a valid project type. It might be obvious for
CDT committers and power users, but I don't think that
any newbie would ever find that out by himself.

What about making the folders non-selectable and adding
separate items below them for the normal config? Or,
going with a tree like this:

Managed Build Executable/
+- CDT Executable Project
+ Examples/
Hello World C++ Project
Managed Build Shared Library/
+ CDT Shared Library Project
Makefile project/
+ CDT Makefile Project
+ Examples/
Hello World C++ Project

Or, even a tree like this:

Managed Build/
+ Executable
+ Shared Library
+ Static Library
+ Empty Project
+ Examples/
Hello World C++ Project
Hello World ANSI C Project
Makefile Project/
+ CDT Makefile Project
+ Examples/
Hello World C++ Project

Where the folders (boldface) are not selectable but just
expandable containers for the subnodes.

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm