Re: [cdt-dev] Launching a debug session with a non-"debug" buildconfiguration

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 06:52:56PM -0700, Schaefer, Doug wrote:
> Long term, I'd like to see the build, debug, and launch frameworks
> become more aware of each other. At the least, the launch framework
> should know what debugger to use for a given build configuration. This
> could work into this use case where, if a build configuration doesn't
> support debugging, it could flag that and flag a related config that can
> be used. We could then switch to that config, build it, and continue
> with the launch of the appropriate debugger for the debug config.

I'm not sure exactly what these terms mean, but going by my best
guess, this sounds strange.  Why would a build configuration determine
which debugger, or whether it supports debugging?  Any compiled
executable can be debugged, usually locally or remotely or even
more options - it's a question of e.g. whether the debug experience
is degraded for improved performance.

There's settings for the build that would also be useful for the
debugger, though.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery